Wednesday 21 March 2012

4 * review of my new book

Evening folks,

I received a great review of my latest effort All the Fun of the Fair today. Here's the review in full:

This book is not my usual genre but I was looking for something a little different, bimbled across this and thought I'd give it a crack.
As the blurb says, this book revolves around Alfie, a man with a dark past, and how a chance meeting sends his life down a different route.
But it is so much more than just his story. It is also the stories of several other people connected to Alfie - be it by location, job or just friends/acquaintances. Minor characters in Alfie's story become major characters with their own tales, often told from several perspectives. In this way the book comes across sometimes as episodic. It takes you through highs and lows, love, heartbreak, quite a few tears and some pretty funny laugh out loud moments.
The characterisation is fantastically imaginative in parts and this works extremely well. Spelling, grammar (to the best of my knowledge) and formatting spot on. If I have any criticism, it would be the author's tendency to us obscure words that I had to keep looking up. Admittedly not too much of a chore with the Kindle's on-board dictionary, and certainly not enough to ruin the enjoyment of the story, but mildly irksome nonetheless.
As the book featured so many interesting characters - both major and minor - there is plenty of potential for future continuation and I, for one, would be up for reading more.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment