Saturday 16 February 2013

How much is too much?

Afternoon loyal and faithful reader,

With a view to trying to stay on topic for once I'm going to open with some stats. This blog has now had over 5400 views which I think is superb given the drivel I come out with. So thank you to everyone who has made the effort, and especially those who come back for a repeat visit.

I don't promote the blog, or anything else, much which brings me to the question. How much is too much? The wife often complains she drinks too much, she's convinced I do too. But we both get up for work every day, work pretty long hours and I've never felt impaired to any degree. We saw a couple of regulars in the local pub during the week and they could hardly stand up. I sank a few pints, had some tea (which was lovely as ever), went home to bed, got up the next day and did it all again. Just as an aside, because we're both earning a fair bit at the moment we've been eating out more. I did some rough maths and it turns out we've spent over 200 quid in the local in the last fortnight. Too much?

I'm also still obsessed with House of Cards on Netflix. Despite a busy week at work I stayed up until 3AM and watched another 3 episodes. Too much? Maybe, but I like it so where's the harm?

Which brings me to book promotion for the Indie author. I don't do much. I never have. I find time to write and publish. I don't have much time to post link after link on any number of websites in the hope I sell one more book. But I'm aware of plenty of folk who spend literally hours each day doing just that. Good luck to them but I'd rather be doing the things I've mentioned above.

Besides, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence that readers get fed up of incessant promo. Twitter and Facebook feeds are clogged with blurbs and links and events and offers, few of which I read. So why would anyone read mine let alone buy the book?

I haven't stumbled across a perfect strategy, I maintain that dumb luck and quality are pretty much the biggest factors in gaining success. So in terms of how much is too much I don't know. Everyone is different. I like a few ales every night, it works for me. Some folk might not, others might want to drink until they fall over. Go for it.

If you want to promote your book all day every day, have at it. But don't get upset if I delete your tweets or block you etc. Free world and all that.

Equally, and here I'm talkng to the wife, if I want to stay up until 3AM again getting my fix of House of Cards with a pizza and a bottle of ale, go with it. Look at it this way, if someone breaks in at least I'm up and ready to roll/hide in the downstairs toilet.

Anyway, enough rambling. Feedback on new book The Trust has been largely positive so far and it continues to sell well. I've even done a press release for it which won't do any harm. I'm off work next week so I'm going to start editing the follow up to The 24 Hour Jazz cafe and possibly decorate the wife's music practice room too.

Valentine's day was a success. Cards were exchanged, sparkly alcohol and a particularly pleasant Indian take-away were consumed to a back drop of Liverpool losing for the second time in a week. Tedious.

Speaking of football, there's some FA Cup on right now so I'm going to make a brew and check some scores before doing just a little bit of promo for the new book. Not too much though.

No comments:

Post a Comment