Monday 16 July 2012

Royalty payments and Federer

Morning folks,

I'll be really quick tonight because I'm writing and it's going well. Tonight's goal is to clear 21,000 words of the new book and leave it in a place to hit the ground running tomorrow. That's key because it's a Monday and I'm at my most tired and grumpy on a Monday. Why? Because I always stay up late on Sunday writing, drinking beer and blogging.

Anyway, as regular readers will know my existing books are now available in all formats via Smashwords. I've sold a couple already and here's what I noticed. The royalty percentage is 77.5%. Why is this interesting? Because Amazon's best offer is 70%. Don't get me wrong, I'm really, really happy with everything Amazon do for Indie authors. But they do make a big deal of their percentage and, if you want the most flexibilty, their 35% offer is the best and the one I use. On a 99p Indie book that's not going to make you rich.

Anyway, I don't know why or how Smashwords offer more but I'm glad they do. Obviously when they sell via retailers the royalty is far less because the retailer takes a cut, then Smashwords take a cut from that. But direct sales via Smashwords are impressive from a royalty point of view and I'm surprised they don't make more of it in their advertising.

Of course, I only benefit from this if you go and buy my books so crack on.

Oh by the way, the Federer reference in the title? I was reading about him on the BBC website. I never get bored of him. Obviously I mean his tennis, I don't know the man. But good grief, even though he's past his dominant prime, when he manages to conjure up the magic like he did at the recent Wimbledon final it's mesmerising. It's nearer to art than sport, but then all great sport is in my opinion. Ali at his best? Woods when he used to win just by turning up? Federer on grass.

Anyway I'm rambling. In short. Buy my books. Watch tennis. Night.

No comments:

Post a Comment