Wednesday 5 September 2012

Apparently I lack sparkle, unlike Michael Clarke Duncan

Morning readers,

Sad news about Michael Clarke Duncan. I know everyone's saying it now, but how awesome was he in The Green Mile? It's a great story anyway but he really made the role his own. I'm not going to pretend I followed his career with any great interest but he was superb in that film. I am also an avid viewer of Two and a Half Men and, if you've watched it, you'll know he appeared in a few episodes and was comfortable doing comedy too. 54 is no age at all and it's a terrible loss.

In other more book related news regular readers will know I submitted an extract to Sparkling Books. Well, true to their word, they responded quickly enough. Sadly it was negative. Undeterred, I have tonight sent them a chunk of All the fun of the Fair to consider. No harm in trying right?

Also, you might have spotted a few media outlets picking up on the subject of sock-puppeting. No? In short it's the practice of using fake/false accounts to give oneself glowing reviews of books, while often posting negative reviews of other authors work. It's not for me to judge what others do, though I certainly don't codone it and I'm not defending it. What I will say is that I can see why a lesser known writer might do it, simply as a marketing tool to generate sales. A bit like my mother posting a glowing review of my books (although it took her long enough).

What I don't understand is why established authors, best sellers and even award winners, would engage in sock puppeting. What's the point? Anyway, if there was a way of preventing it then there'd be nothing to talk about so perhaps that's the way to go.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment